Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The Supreme Court on Affirmative Action

An article I found interesting was posted on USA Today Wednesday, October 10, 2012 titled Supreme Court to weigh in again on Affirmative action. This article mainly focuses on people’s weigh in on affirmative action in light of the Supreme Court dealing with Fisher v. University of Texas.  Abigail Fisher was rejected entry to the University of Texas in 2008 and claims she was rejected because she is white. The Affirmative action takes factors such as race, religion, gender, or national origin into consideration when it comes to employment, education, and business to promote equal opportunity. This article is worth a read because it gives insight into why many people disagree with affirmative action. I think many people are ok with it so it’s interesting to see legitimate reasons why people are on the other side of the fence about it. I found it relevant to me because it got me thinking about how affirmative action affects me and my family. We’re Hispanic. I have a better chance of getting into a university because of my skin color. How is that equal opportunity? I chose this article because this case could possibly alter the course of history for the U.S.

No comments: